SUBCLASS 461 – NZ CITIZEN FAMILY RELATIONSHIP
This visa is for a person who is not a New Zealand citizen but is a member of a family unit of a New Zealand citizen. It lets you live and work in Australia for five years. The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid. You can apply for this visa again if you want to stay longer.Claim your consultation
KEY ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- If you are offshore, you can apply for the subclass 461 visa without needing to hold another type of visa first
- If you are onshore you need to hold a substantive visa when you lodge your application. If you do not hold a substantive visa you will need show you do not hold a visa because of factors
- beyond your control and there are compelling reasons to grant you a subclass 461
- Your New Zealand family member must have (or be eligible for) a Special Category visa (subclass 444)
- Meet De facto or marriage requirements
- Have sufficient and comprehensive evidence to support your claims regarding your relationship
- Be outside of Australia at the time of application and decision
- Not had a visa cancelled or an application refused (onshore applicants)
- Satisfy the evidence requirement
- Must make an online application and attached all evidence online
- Have an eligible sponsor who is not barred to sponsor you
- Meet Australia’s Health & Character requirements
- Satisfy all other visa requirements
- Apply for another 461 visa to stay longer (must meet eligibility requirements)
- Live, work and study in Australia for 5 years from the date of visa grant
- Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
- Include family members in your application
The visa costs AUD365 for the main applicant.
The visa costs AUD185 for members of the family unit over 18 years of age and AUD90 for those under 18.Claim your consultation
SPEAK WITH ONE OF OUR IMMIGRATION
Contact Us Today
LAWYERS TODAY ABOUT APPLYING FOR A SUBCLASS 461 VISA!
Helping People Just Like You
frequently asked questions
You must be the partner, or one of the members of the family unit of a New Zealand citizen. You cannot be a New Zealand citizen yourself. In addition, you will need to meet health and character requirements.
You can be onshore or offshore when you apply. However, if you were onshore at time of application, you must be onshore at time of decision. If you were offshore at time of application, you must be offshore at time of decision.
You will be entitled to work and study in Australia, in addition to remaining in Australia for 5 years from the date the visa is granted.
Yes, you may include a child, step-child or your partner’s child or step-child when lodging the application. However, like you, these family members will need to provide evidence that they are related to the New Zealand citizen.
You may continue to hold your visa. However, to continue your eligibility for a subclass 461 visa, you cannot become a member of a family unit of another person.
If you apply from inside Australia, and it is a valid application, you will be granted a Bridging Visa to remain in Australia until a decision is made.