Subclass 870 – Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa
This visa provides parents with a new pathway to temporarily reunite with their children and grandchildren in Australia, while ensuring that taxpayers are not required to cover additional costs. The visa responds to community concerns about the limited number of Parent places in the migration program and associated lengthy waiting periods. Up to 15,000 sponsored parent (Temporary) visa may be granted each financial year, and there is no balance of family test or Assurance of support requirement for this visa.
Duration of this visa
- 3 years; or
- 5 years
REQUIREMENTS OF SPONSORSHIP
- The parent must be a biological, adoptive, or step-parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen
- The sponsor must be at least 18 years of age
- Sponsor must meet the minimum household income threshold of at least $83,450
- Sponsor have met any previous visa obligations
REQUIREMENTS OF VISA APPLICATION
- You must have, or have access to, enough money to support yourself while you are in Australia
- You must meet the health requirement
- You must meet the character requirement
- You have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily
- You must provide evidence of health insurance
Children wishing to sponsor their parents for the 870-visa, can submit 870 sponsorship application. Once the sponsorship application is approved, a sponsored parent can apply for a sponsored parent visa. Visa applications must be lodged within six months of sponsorship approval and cannot be lodged until a sponsor has been approved.
The cost of getting family sponsorship is $420
The visa application charge is payable in two instalments
- First instalment is $1000 per applicant at the time of application
- AUD$ 4,000 (per applicant) for a visa of up to three years period at the time of grant; or
- AUD$ 9,000 (per applicant) for a visa of up to five years period at the time of grant.