Aged Parent Permanent Visa (Onshore)
This visa is for “aged” applicants, that is, over the set retirement age for Australians. It must be lodged while the applicant is in Australia and can be granted while they are in Australia. The applicant is entitled to a bridging visa onshore as the processing times for this visa can extend for a considerable number of years.
The applicant must be aged according to the retirement age requirement under the Social Security Act 1991 (Cth). The pension age will be gradually increased from 65 to 67 years as set out in the table below.
|Period within which a person was born||Pension age||Date pension age changes|
|From 1 July 1952 to 31 December 1953||65 years and 6 months||1 July 2017|
|From 1 January 1954 to 30 June 1955||66 years||1 July 2019|
|From 1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956||66 years and 6 months||1 July 2021|
|From 1 January 1957 onwards||67 years||1 July 2023|
- You must be an aged parent
- The applicant must pass the balance of family test
- The applicant must be sponsored by a child who is an Australian citizen
- The sponsor must be settled in Australia
- You must be able to obtain an assurance of support
- You must meet the health requirement
- You must meet the character requirement
- Stay in Australia permanently
- Live, work and study in Australia
- Access Australian government benefits
- You might be able to sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia
- Apply for Australian Citizenship
BALANCE OF FAMILY TEST
- at least half of their children and stepchildren are Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- there are more eligible children are living in Australia than children living in any other single country
ASSURANCE OF SUPPORT
It is mandatory for two years. For main applicant it should be $5,000.00 and $2,000 for secondary applicant over 18 years.
The visa application charge is payable in two instalments. First instalment is payable at the time of application and is AUD4,350 for the main applicant.
There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.
- Additional applicant over 18 years old: AUD2,175
- Additional applicant under 18 years old: AUD1,090
THE SECOND INSTALMENT
For each person included on the application must pay AUD2,065 at the time of decision.